Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Peace, Love the gap?

I want to like these ads, I really do.

But using a rapper named Common to sell clothes bugs the shit out of me.

COMMON.

I guess it's honest of the gap. Their tagline is all hippy, and Common has been wearing a hippy doo rag thing for years now. I won't go into his lyrics, as they may invoke vomiting, but trust me, they are about peace, love and peace and love.

And if the gap's clothes represent anything, it's a common mass appeal, able to be worn by anorexics and gastric bypass candidates in equal measure. How that sells is beyond me? Combination of easy-to-blend-in-wear at reasonable prices is my best guess.

Peace, love, the safe.

FYI: Common is the whitest black rapper in the game.

In related news, I'm sick of harder rappers selling out for radio play. Two very recent examples: "I wanna fuck you" by Akon turns into "I wanna love you", while "Love me or Hate me" by Lady Sov includes a "FUCK YOU" in the chorus, which becomes an "I HATE YOU" on the radio.

I realize it's a business, and these artists want to move as many records as possible -- even if it means sacrificing their original 'vision'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the definition of SELLING OUT?

DIMELO!

No comments: